Skip to main content
Iowa Judicial Branch
Main Content

How do I change a minor child’s name?

To change a minor child’s name, you will need to electronically file the Petition for Change of Name of Minor Child and pay the $195 filing fee.

You must include the following information in the Petition for Change of Name of Minor Child:

  • The child's current name.
  • The child’s county of residence.
  • Your name and relationship to the child.
  • A description of the child including height, weight, hair and eye color, race, sex, and place and date of birth.
  • Place of residence(s) for the past five years.
  • Reason for request
  • The new name you are requesting for the minor child.

You must attach a certified copy of the minor child's birth certificate to the petition. If the child's birth certificate is not available, you must explain why it is not available and provide another form of identification.

« Back

© 2023 Iowa Judicial Branch. All Rights Reserved.