Skip to main content
Iowa Judicial Branch
Main Content

How do I change my name as part of a divorce case?

If you want a name change as part of a pending divorce case, include your request for name change in your petition (if you are petitioner) or in your answer (if you are respondent), and the court can include the change in the final decree. If you are changing your name as part of a divorce proceeding, you can only change your name back to either the name on your birth certificate or the name you had immediately before the marriage. See Iowa Code section 598.37.

« Back

© 2023 Iowa Judicial Branch. All Rights Reserved.