Skip to main content
Iowa Judicial Branch
Main Content

Small Claims, Minors as Parties

I’m under the age of 18, and I haven’t been paid for work I’ve done. How do I sue to get my money?

If you are a minor under 18 years old, you may sue a person in small claims court, but you must have a parent or guardian complete and sign a small claims petition.

Can I sue a minor?

Yes. A minor may be sued, but no judgment may be entered against a minor unless the minor is represented by a guardian ad litem. (A guardian ad litem is a person, usually an attorney, appointed by the court to represent the interests of a minor in court.) See Iowa Rule of Civil Procedure 1.211. Suing a minor involves numerous legal issues, and you should talk to an attorney.

« Back

© 2023 Iowa Judicial Branch. All Rights Reserved.