The first courthouse of Lucas County was built in Chariton of solid oak logs in 1850. The one and one-half story building was financed out of the Chariton town lot fund and cost $374.
The second courthouse was 50 feet square and cost between $15,000 and $20,000. The courthouse's foundation was made of logs and made the judge nervous. Luckily, the building did not collapse.
A new courthouse was built in 1885. The stone courthouse appears the same today as it did over a century ago. The only major alteration has been the removal of a pointed spire and minor caps which topped the tower.