Calliope was named as the first county seat. In 1872, the county seat moved to Orange City. A frame building was constructed for the courthouse, but it did not stand up to the weather very well. After about 20 years, plans for a new courthouse were devised.
Battles between cities for the honor of being county seat waged on until 1901. Finally, Orange City emerged victorious again and the city celebrated the occasion with great bonfires. A fabulous red and white stone courthouse which is in use today was completed in October of 1904. Its large clock tower is topped by a statue of Justice.