Shortly after the organization of Webster County, Homer was selected as the county seat. However, Fort Dodge immediately began a fight for the honor of being the county seat. In 1856, voters selected Fort Dodge as the county seat.
The cornerstone for the first courthouse was laid in 1859. The originally elaborate plans for the courthouse changed and a plain two-story building, measuring 50 by 100 feet was finally completed in 1861. Although this courthouse was constantly remodeled and repaired, Webster County outgrew it. The old building was demolished for $800 and the materials were salvaged and sold.
The formal dedication of the present courthouse was held on September 12, 1902. The stone building is four-stories high and has an impressive clock tower. The cost of the building was just over $100,000.