The first courthouse in Appanoose county was not only a courthouse, but also a storeroom and a blacksmith's shop. The judge had to use the store's counter for the bench.
The first true courthouse was built in 1848 for $160 in the city of Centerville. After only ten years, this building was outgrown and court was held in the Methodist and Presbyterian churches while a second courthouse was constructed.
The second courthouse, a two-story, brick building, was considerably more expensive- $23,000. It was declared unsafe and condemned after 33 years of service.
The third and present courthouse was completed in 1904. The architectural style is Romanesque. From the center of this Bedford stone building rises a tall tower with a four-faced clock on it. The clock went through major repairs in 1936 and again n 1975 when it was struck by lightening.