The first county seat was located in Clarksville, but it soon relocated to Allison. The Allison Town Company gave $7,000 in cash for the erection of a new courthouse. A 50 by 55 foot wood and brick building was completed in 1881. An addition was built 22 years later for $5,000. This building was torn down, but the silver-colored cupola was saved and used to crown a small building on the courthouse grounds. This small building was titled the "Butler County Hall of Fame".
In October of 1975, a modern courthouse was completed for approximately $940,000. It is located at the end of Main Street, just below the site of the 1881 courthouse.