Skip to main content
Iowa Judicial Branch
Main Content

Delaware County Courthouse

Delaware's first county seat was located in Delhi. There the citizens built an 18 by 24 foot two-story log cabin. The cabin lacked some finishing touches, including a roof and jurors had to enter the second story jury room with a ladder. The county commissioners resolved, in 1850, to build a new courthouse. Since no contractor could be found to build it, the settlers used their axes and completed the new courthouse and jail in 1853.

The county seat was moved to Manchester and the present courthouse was built there in 1894. For $38,000 a red pressed brick building was constructed. About 700 citizens donated money to purchase a clock for the tower. This building is used as the courthouse today.

© 2018 Iowa Judicial Branch. All Rights Reserved.