Construction of Dickinson's first courthouse began in 1859 but not completed until 1868. The courthouse was used as protection and shelter against Indian attacks. Troops eventually arrived and they used the courthouse as quarters until 1865. Work had to be done on the building after the troops left. The courthouse was completely finished in 1868. In November of 1871, the old courthouse and some of the county records were destroyed in a fire.
The second courthouse was built from the bricks used in the first courthouse. This building was used until it was condemned in the late 1880's.
The present courthouse was completed in 1891 at a cost of almost $15,000. The concrete in the foundation of this courthouse was made from the bricks of the first and second buildings. A new addition, including a jail, was built in 1957.