The first headquarters for county business was the house of the county judge, James B. Reeve. The board of commissioners then picked a site called Jefferson, as a compliment to Judge Reeve, who was from an Ohio town of that name. But one commissioner did not agree and the county seat was relocated to the present site at Hampton.
The first courthouse was built in 1857. It was made mostly of native lumber. This building was later sold to a church. However, instead of being used for worship it was used as a dwelling and a stable.
Records and offices were kept in the schoolhouse until a stone 48 X 70 foot courthouse was completed in the center of the square. This building cost $12,500.
The present courthouse, which was completed in 1891, is also stone and brick with an elegant clock tower. Upon completion, it cost $60,000.