The first courthouse was completed in the 1860s for a cost of $1,934. Court has not been held in this building for over 120 years, but it still stands in Webster City.
The county had difficulty raising money for a second courthouse. But in 1874, through the sale of swampland, the county came up with $50,000. A three-story, brick courthouse was dedicated on July 4, 1876. An 18 foot square dome originally rested on the structure but has since been removed.
The present courthouse was begun in July of 1975 and completed in 1976. It was constructed from tan bricks and faced with black stone from Georgia.