Hardin County was organized in February of 1853 and the first courthouse was a two-story frame building erected in 1856. It was destroyed that same year by a fire. A new courthouse was built in 1857.
In 1892, a third courthouse was built for $48,000. It was designed in traditional Victorian style. It is made of red brick, as well as a large amount of stone to dress up the windows, entryways, and foundation. Statues sit in a cove above the entryways and below the clock. In 1968, the interior was restored as part of an extensive remodeling project. A round courtroom was added and efforts were made to preserve the original woodwork.