The contract for the first courthouse to be located in Mount Pleasant was ordered on February 13, 1837. Changes were made in the plans and construction was delayed. A 30 by 18 foot building was completed in 1839.
In the 1850's, the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad came to Henry County and there was need for a new county building. The second courthouse was a remodeled version of a place called "Hill Hall". The structure bore the date 1870 and was used until the present courthouse was built in 1914.