In 1866, lumber was hauled from Boonesboro to Algona for the first courthouse in Kossuth County. The building cost $800 and was completed by January 1, 1867.
The cornerstone of a second courthouse was laid in 1872. The structure, which had a 72 foot high tower, cost approximately $40,000.
The present courthouse in Algona is a modern brick building which was dedicated in 1955. It cost approximately $500,000 to build. On old courthouse square is a semicircular stone which reads "Court House A.D. 1872". This marks the spot where the second Kossuth County courthouse used to stand.