Skip to main content
Iowa Judicial Branch
Main Content

Monroe County Courthouse

A plan for the first courthouse was developed in 1846. A half story above the courtroom was used to provide privacy for the jurors when they considered a case. This courthouse was torn down in 1860.

At that time, Judge James Hilton ordered a new courthouse to be built in the center of the town park. He chose a medieval style building which was used until 1902.

The present three-story courthouse is fashioned from heavy stone and was built for approximately $100,000. The cornerstone for this Renaissance style building was laid on August 29, 1902.

© 2018 Iowa Judicial Branch. All Rights Reserved.