The first county seat of Montgomery was located in Frankfort and the first courthouse was a meager room in a log cabin. The jury was forced to deliberate outside in a prairie and the courtroom furniture was a dining room set.
Eventually a two-story building was constructed for about $1,000 to serve the public. Later, this courthouse was put on a huge sled and moved when the county seat moved to Red Oak. Thirty yoke of oxen pulled the courthouse to its new location through a blizzard to its final site in the corner of the public square.
The cornerstone was laid for the present courthouse on July 4, 1890. Although there were problems with the contractor during its construction, this beautiful castle was well worth the $100,000 it cost to build.