Bloomington was established as the seat of Muscatine County shortly after the county was organized in 1837. The original courthouse was built in 1840 of brick. It cost $15,000. On February 21, 1851, Bloomington was incorporated as the city of Muscatine.
The first courthouse was destroyed by fire and a second courthouse was built in 1867. This building, which cost $29,000, was an elegant two-story brick building complete with a dome and a statue of the goddess of justice.
The present courthouse was built in 1907 in approximately the same spot as the former courthouse. Although no goddess adorns this structure, a beautiful dome with a public timepiece surmounts it.