The first courthouse was built in Sibley in 1872 for $5,000. It was a two-story frame building with shutters dressing the windows. Sibley was named as the county seat because it was the first town in the county.
A second courthouse was then built in 1902. It had a clock in a cupola and a statue of Justice. The brick building was remodeled in the 1920s and again in 1961. Over the years, the courthouse lost the statue, the clock, and the cupola, but this brick and stone structure still serves the public.