The first county seat of Pocahontas County was located at Old Rolfe. A brick building with a stone foundation served as both the courthouse and schoolhouse. The bricks were made from local clay and all of the timber was either oak, elm, or walnut.
The county seat was moved from Old Rolfe to Pocahontas in 1875. The old courthouse was sold for $200 and a new one was built for $2,600.
The present courthouse, which was built in 1923, is a neatly constructed building of classical Greco-Roman design. It is made of brick and Bedford limestone.