Skip to main content
Iowa Judicial Branch
Main Content

Ringgold County Courthouse

A courthouse was built in the spring of 1856 in Mount Ayr. During a session of court on June 8, 1858, a cyclone blew down the courthouse and many records disappeared.

For a cost of $3,500, a new courthouse was built of native lumber. This courthouse was burned to the ground on Thanksgiving Day, 1889. Fortunately, in 1883, construction of a third courthouse had already begun. This brick and stone building was completed for a cost of $36,455. In 1921, the building was condemned and given, along with $500 in cash, to a house wrecker to be torn down.

A new courthouse was approved by the voters in 1926. This building measures approximately 86 by 91 feet, is made of brick, has three stories, and cost a total of $132,533 to build.

© 2018 Iowa Judicial Branch. All Rights Reserved.