The first Sac County courthouse was built in 1860. It was a two story brick building that measured 34 by 46 feet at its base. In 1873, the second courthouse was constructed for a total of $30,000. The building burned down in 1888. The person who was convicted of setting the courthouse on fire was sentenced to 12 years in the penitentiary.
Fifteen thousand dollars in insurance money and $15,000 which the citizens raised was used to build another courthouse in 1889. This building serves the county today and appears relatively the same today as when it was first erected.