Davenport was named as the county seat in 1838. Rockingham and Winfield unsuccessfully challenged Davenport for years for the location as the county seat. The first courthouse was built in 1842. By 1886, it needed to be replaced. A huge Bedford stone building was constructed at a cost of $125,000.
Around 1930, termites destroyed the supporting wood beams and the building began to sink into the sandy soil on which it sat. Major repairs were constantly being done on the courthouse.
The present courthouse, with its all aluminum exterior, was built in 1955 at a cost of $1,480,000.