Court was held in a store building in Nevada until a formal courthouse was built later in 1853. The courthouse was destroyed by fire on New Year's Day, 1864. A new courthouse was not completed until 1877. The county had planned to spend $40,000, but the construction costs were much higher when the building was finished. The county officers met in an old frame building until they accepted the higher priced courthouse.
This courthouse was replaced in 1968 for an estimated $1,000,000. In 1998 voters approved a bond referendum of up to $12.7 million to build a new Justice Center, which included renovation of the former courthouse now called the Administration building. The Justice Center includes the courtrooms, County Attorney's offices, Clerk of Court, and Judge's offices on the courthouse side. The other side houses the Sheriff's offices, jail and jail support.