Tama County built its first courthouse in Toledo in 1854 for a cost of $1,300. It was a two-story frame structure that was used until 1866.
The present courthouse, which was completed in 1866, stands in the public square in Toledo. It looks much like it did when it was built. The foundation is stone and the walls are made of brick with a roof of corrugated iron. The belfry was constructed so that it can be reached from a second story stairway.
The county accepted a $5,000 bid for the second courthouse. Although the final cost was $22,000, the county paid only the $5,000 it had agreed to.