Skip to main content
Iowa Judicial Branch
Main Content

Union County Courthouse

The first courthouse was authorized in 1857 to be built in Afton. It measured 20 by 40 feet and cost nearly $1,800. It was equipped with a $40 bell which was useful since the building was also used as a school and church.

Stone from the quarries on the Grand River were used in constructing the next courthouse in 1872. The two-story building with cupola was erected on the public square for $20,000. The first courthouse was destroyed by fire in 1893.

In 1890, the county seat moved to Creston and a two-story brick building was constructed to serve as the new courthouse. Even though it cost about $22,000 to build, the citizens of Creston leased it to the county for 99 years for one dollar.

A $300,000 bond issue in 1946 was used to pay for the building of the present courthouse. It was constructed in 1952.

© 2018 Iowa Judicial Branch. All Rights Reserved.