Skip to main content
Iowa Judicial Branch
Main Content

Washington County Courthouse

The first courthouse in Washington County was an 18 by 28 foot two-story structure made of oak and walnut lumber. The building cost $759 and was used as a school and religious center as well as for county business.

A second courthouse was built in 1847, but the board of commissioners was dissatisfied with the final structure.

A third courthouse was built in 1887 for $75,000. It is made of locally manufactured brick and is trimmed with white stone. A decorative clock tower stands at the southwest corner. It houses a bell made of bronze, tin, and brass, as well as a 50 pound hammer to strike it. This building still serves the county.

© 2018 Iowa Judicial Branch. All Rights Reserved.