The first Wayne County courthouse was built for $600 in the year 1856. This two-story building, which was located in Corydon, was sold after 20 years of service. County offices were then rented, and court was held in various churches and halls.
In order to fend off bids from other towns to be the county seat, Corydon's citizens raised $18,000 to build a second courthouse.
The third and present courthouse was completed in 1964 for under $450,000. It sits in the town square at the center of the business district.