Served on the Iowa Supreme Court from September 15, 1920, when he was appointed to fill the vacancy occasioned by the death of Justice Frank R. Gaynor, until his death September 15, 1925. For one year he was Chief Justice.
Born at St.John, Harrison County, Iowa, July 12, 1860. He was graduated from the University of Iowa in 1881. After his graduation he spent several years from 1883 to 1890, first as Deputy then as Clerk of the District Court in Harrison County. In 1891 he entered the private practice of law in the town of Logan where he served for a time as Mayor. In 1911 he was appointed Judge of the District Court where he continued to serve until his appointment to the Supreme Court.