Iowa Judicial Branch
Appellate Court News Media Coverage Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I need to request Expanded News Media Coverage (ENMC) to broadcast, record, photograph, text, blog, or tweet real-time electronic coverage during in-person oral arguments inside the supreme court courtroom or court of appeals courtroom?
- Do I need to request Expanded News Media Coverage to broadcast, record, photograph, text, blog, screenshot, or tweet real-time electronic coverage of livestreamed supreme court or court of appeals oral arguments from the court’s YouTube channel?
- Who is the Appellate Court News Media Coordinator?
- May I bring recording equipment into the courtroom to cover oral arguments?
- Is there a difference between covering a district court trial in a county courthouse and covering an appellate court oral argument in the Judicial Branch Building?
- What if I only want to use my cell phone, laptop, or tablet to text, blog, or tweet real-time coverage of the oral arguments?
- If I know the court issued an order allowing expanded news media coverage, do I still need to contact the Appellate Court News Media Coordinator if I was not part of the initial request?
- May I interview the attorneys after the oral argument?
- Do all the same rules apply if the supreme court hears oral arguments in a location outside the Judicial Branch Building?