Attention Iowa Lawyers
The 2018 filing season has begun! You can file your annual CLE reports and your annual Client Security report at our web portal: www.iacourtcommissions.org. All reports have to be filed before March 10, 2018. If you are short some CLE hours you will need to file for an extension so that you can put courses you attend in 2018 on your CLE transcript. There is a $25 extension fee for requests made after January 15, 2018.
Welcome to the new webpages of the Office of Professional Regulation. We are still ironing out some kinks, redoing some formatting and tracking down those troublesome typos so we apologize in advance for any errors you may find. While we hope you can locate everything that you need, if you can't then do not hesitate to give us a call at (515) 725-8029. Yes, Alexander Graham Bell's 19th Century technology is still alive and well in the 21st!
If you are interested in becoming an Iowa attorney, then we welcome you to our bar. You'll likely want to start with the following webpages:
- Law students and recent graduates can find general information and announcements at Admission by Examination and specific information here on how to register for the bar exam. If you've already taken the bar exam in a UBE state then the information you need to transfer in can be found at the link.
- Those of you already licensed in another jurisdiction will find the following pages will be of use:
- Pro Hac Vice Applications are for use when you are seeking temporary admission to Iowa's courts for a single matter;
- International Legal Consultants are for those of you who are licensed overseas and wish to advise Iowans on your country's laws;
- In-House Counsel Admission is something you need to do if you are a lawyer working as an employee for a non-legal services Iowa based employer; and
- Admission on Motion is what you need to do if you are licensed in a different jurisdiction and want to "waive" in without taking the bar examination.
If you are already an Iowa attorney, then you have definitely come to the right place!
- We've tried to compile the answers to common questions we get at How to Get a Certificate of Good Standing and Other Frequently Asked Questions (and if you think of a question we don't have, let us know!)
- The Annual Reporting Requirements for Iowa Lawyers webpage will get you up to speed on your annual filing requirements
- While these pages will tell you more about CLE Accreditation then you ever wanted to know:
- Lastly, we've started to gather some specific practice information in our aptly titled "Practice Information" series. We have created subpages for some common areas: